Country Information

What vaccinations/immunizations are needed for travel to Cuba?
At this time, there are no required vaccinations to visit Cuba, but Typhoid and Hepatitis A—which are contracted through contaminated food and water – are risks for most travelers. In addition to getting both these vaccines, the CDC recommends travelers practice good food and water safety, including drinking bottled water or prepackaged drinks. Please visit the CDC website for more up to date information. 

Is Cuba a safe country?
Cuba is one of the safest countries in Latin America. There are no terrorist groups operating in the country and the crime rate is very low. Although Havana is one of the safest world capitals, there is always a risk of theft, as in any other city. 

Is the water in Cuba safe to drink?
The water in Cuba is considered potable by Western standards, but we strongly recommend that participants drink only bottled water. You can also use a Seychelle water filter bottle – not just any filtered bottle will do. You will be provided with bottled water during the course of the program. Drink only bottled water at all times.

Is there internet access during the program?
Internet use is offered at several spots in Havana for the general public and ETESCA (Cuba’s telecommunications provider) sells $2 CUC wi-fi cards that are valid for an hour.  Please understand that the connection speed in Cuba may be slower than what you're accustomed to in the US and that internet is not widely available when traveling to the outer provinces. 

Is there phone access in Cuba?
Most U.S. cell phone carriers have reported mobile phone agreements in Cuba and may allow roaming (at a charge). Please call your carrier for the most up-to-date information and any additional charges for voice calls, data, and outgoing text messages that you may incur during your trip.

What currency is used in Cuba?
Cuba is a cash-only country with two types of currency: the Cuban Peso (CUP) (also referred as the moneda nacional) and the peso convertible (CUC). Its hard currency is the Cuban convertible peso (CUC$), which you will exchange and use in Cuba. CUC$ come in the following denominations: 1, 3, 5, 10, 20, 50, and 100. The moneda nacional (CUP) is used only by Cubans.

Can I use credit cards in Cuba?
No. There are ATMs in Cuba, particularly in the larger cities, but they still do not accept any U.S. issued credit or debit cards. The best way to take money to Cuba is in cash. 

How can I get to Cuba?
It has recently become much easier for Americans to legally visit Cuba. U.S. citizens can legally travel to Cuba if they are engaging in any of the 12 categories of activities defined by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). Studying abroad is included and falls under the “Educational Activities” category.  As of the Fall 2016 you can now book a flight from Cuba from most major U.S. cities as most airlines including Southwest, JetBlue, American Airlines, Delta, United and Alaska Airlines all offer flights. 

What is the typical housing in Cuba?
Typically students are housed in a guest house (or Casa Particular) which is very similar to a Bed and Breakfast in the U.S.  Students will share bedrooms in double occupancy with modern toilets and showers. Bed linens and towels are also provided.

Academics and Program Design

How far in advance do I need to begin to plan my program/trip to Cuba?
Planning programming in Cuba can take longer than in other countries, therefore we recommend that you begin to plan at least 6 months before the start of your program.

Does EEAbroad offer programming in a variety of fields?
Yes, EEAbroad can design programs in a variety of academic disciplines including Business, Latin American Studies, Dance, Health Sciences, Agriculture and more. 

Under which license does EEAbroad offer academic programming in Cuba?
Our high school and university programs travel under the section under the General license for educational activities §515.565 (a)(6) - Educational exchanges sponsored by Cuban or U.S. school involving students' participation in a formal course of study or in a structured educational program offered by a secondary school/university or other academic institution and led by a teacher/professor official.

Can EEAbroad offer classroom space and courses taught by local professors?
Yes, we can offer classroom space as well as courses in either English or Spanish in a variety of disciplines to meet your program needs. 

Still have additional questions? Email us at